Subject: Re: [RECL]Beginner woes

From: Helen
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:04:54 +0100

This reminded me of a something that happened to me many moons ago.

It must have been about 25 years ago; when I was young, naive,
inexperienced and incredibly stubborn.

They had been learning a piece that was way too hard for them. I had
totally misjudged what they could do! They were playing a few pieces
in our Summer concert, but this one piece, despite many lessons, just
hadn't come together at all.

In desperation, I said "those who feel confident, play it....the
others, don't blow, just finger the notes"

So up on stage they go. Play first and second piece. Then comes the
dreaded piece 3.

I play the intro...then the chord to start....nothing....nothing at
all. About 60 children, all poised with recorders in their mouths,
fingering the notes and not a sound coming from it.

I tried again. Played the intro...nothing.

In the end, in front of all the parents I said "for goodness
sake....SOMEBODY must be able to play this piece!" I sat down again.
Played the intro and one lonely player played. There they were all 60
fingering away, and only the sound of one player.

At the end, I explained to the audience how they had worked at getting
the tone so perfect that it sounded just like one player LOL.
Okay...I then explained what I had told them, and we gave a round of
applause for the soloist.

Very funny. Everyone had a good laugh, including the recorder players

It wouldn't happen these days, as I can usually tell whether they are
going to get an ambitious piece within the first couple of weeks, and
we'll abandon it if I know they'll not get it within time for the
concert, but in those days, I found it hard to judge and with all the
work we had put in, I didn't want to drop it.

Anyway....it just reminded me. Oh what it is to be old and have so
many things to reminisce over LOL

Helen

^ Back To Top