Subject: Re: [RECL]Ambitions

From: Juanita Bellavance
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 05:41:12 -0400

That is the funniest and most performance horrifying story
I have ever heard! I commend you on the way you handled
the situation.

Last year the grades 1-3 class was still straining and complaining
over playing Hot Cross Buns. some were even still doing that
fake noodling with their fingers and making the most horrible
sounds. I was amazed that such a simple song could seem
that hard to them. I finally told them if they were doing the fake
fingerings to at least not blow into the recorder while doing so.

It was a combined program where grades 1-3 and grades 4-6
were all supposed to have a recorder song together. It was
never going to happen and be anything I felt great about. Then
I came up with an idea which worked.

Lower el played Hot Cross Buns which gave us the perfect
key to sing I Saw Three Ships with combined lower el and upper el.
Then upper el followed up after the song by playing it on
recorder. Both groups sounded fabulous and the parents were
especially impressed with upper el playing I Saw Three Ships.
It really was a hard song but upper el was so great with only
17 students they could have learned almost anything I wanted
them to. I now use that song as one of my black belt songs.

Your story where not one person played and then finally only
one single brave soul played tops every story I've ever heard
so far. :)

Juanita