Subject: [RECL]Crying

From: Sue Roessel Dura
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:00:33 -0600

Dear List,

Those of you with more experience may be able to help ;-)

I was giving a first lesson today and all but one kid got it. He was =
having
lots of trouble. Since the others could play Hot Cross Buns, I offered =
to let
them earn a star by playing it by themselves. All but this boy could do =
it. I
had explained what they need to do to earn a star. So he started crying.=
told him that we were learning something new, not everyone can get it =
right away
and all he needs to do is practice at home. He was still upset so I let =
him
stay a few minutes after class to work with him. He was intent to get =
that star
and even though he didn't play well enough to earn one, I told him he =
had. At
least the others didn't witness this! I can see I will be having trouble=
with
him in this regard in the future. Any suggestions on how to handle this?=
think it will diminish the point of stars if the kids get one whne they =
don't
measure up.

Best, Sue

^ Back To Top