Subject: Re: [RECL]Recorder Classroom, Vol. 1, No. 4 Sound Clips

From: Helen
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:46:02 +0000

2009/2/7 James P. Ziegler :
> Good Morning, Recorder Classroom Fans,
>
> Sound excerpts from the fourth issue of Recorder Classroom are now available
> online at
> www.RecorderClassroom.com

Love it! Can't wait to do them, especially Bile Them Cabbage Down

Brill stuff!

I wonder if I can suggest something though. Please feel free to
ignore me if nobody else has the same problem.

Sometimes my lot find it difficult to know exactly where to come in,
especially if the arrangements start quietly. They often miss the
first couple of notes and it throws the counting inright off. We've
had a few problems in the past with some pieces. Recently the
Fantasia on a Christmas Spiritual with it's long note followed by a
soft slightly crescendo phrase....then....hey presto, they've missed
the start again LOL.

I can see this happening with the Water is Wide, which will be
beautiful if they come in at the right time! We often do Water is
Wide, but this is a much better arrangement and would love to do it
with them.

In the classroom, these things aren't too much of a problem, but in
the hall, despite the audience being quiet, there's always a little
bustle in the background and it's hard for them to concentrate fully
on the counting (and me!)

Perhaps it's their age (and mine LOL). I start in 2nd grade and the
majority are quite good by the end of the year, but though I know
they'll be able to play the piece, not sure whether they will learn
when to come in.

Would love some instrument, or some sort of subtle click for them to
count from if you know what I mean.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Great work on the Recorder Classroom.
I'm getting so much use from it!

Helen (UK)

^ Back To Top