Subject: Re: [RECL]All Recorder Classroom downloads available for V1/4!

From: tusing4us at aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:33:53 -0400

Okay all you fancy smancy people with overhead projectors, document readers=20=
and white boards --- I am still working with the chalk board and no overhead=
projector. =C2=A0Tsk, tsk on the monster principal who ordered a lot of whi=
te boards with our music monies and left me the old chalkboard. She used my=20=
position to get her those white boards for her teachers and left me out.=20=
=C2=A0So I have to kick the can to the road and get over it.I've already tol=
d the music department of her shinanigans. But that's one school and I have=20=
4 others. Every day I go to a different school which usually puts me in audi=
toriums. =C2=A0

How I teach recorder is the way i've been doing it for years. =C2=A0Knock, k=
nock on my head. =C2=A0Let's open the brain up for these new magazines. =C2=
=A0Let's even move myself into Recorder Karate. I've had RK for many years b=
ut am now about to use it. =C2=A0Not only do I move my things into a new roo=
m but I also have to leave with all my stuff packed into my car at the end o=
f the day. =C2=A0I do not teach recorders all day but these classes are couc=
hed into my non-recorder general music classes plus a 4/5 choir. There is a=20=
5 minute break between classes....and folks my brain at this point can only=20=
handle what I've always been doing...most of which comes from Denise Gagne's=
recorder books. =C2=A0

So how am I adding Recorder Classroom into my whirly world? =C2=A0What can I=
do to get started? =C2=A0This past week I have a very slow 3rd grade class.=
=3D2
0=C2=A0Try as I might I only have one person who can play BAG for Hot Crosss=
Buns. =C2=A0So I've tried to introduce MK8's BA Cowboy. =C2=A0How did I do=20=
this? =C2=A0I played the cd several times for them to guess what the music w=
as going to be about. =C2=A0Then I worked on the pattern rhythms. =C2=A0That=
's all I could get to in 30 minutes. =C2=A0I can't do Recorder Karate with t=
hese children because after 4 half hour lessons their fingers aren't coordin=
ated to hit a G. =C2=A0

I did the rhythms on the board because I didn't think them ready for a xerox=
copy. =C2=A0Okay if I could depend on having an overhead projector I would=20=
use a transparency but I often can't count on it. =C2=A0The issue with the t=
ransparency is I have to go find the overhead projector and push it into the=
auditorium. =C2=A0Nothing is easy except for what comes out of my mouth wit=
h my hands and a recorder. =C2=A0

I think I should be doing Artie's Recorder Hike but I'm not reallly clear.=20=
=C2=A0

Thanks for reading this far. =C2=A0

Ellie=C2=A0