Subject: RE: [RECL]All Recorder Classroom downloads available for V1/4!

From: James Estes
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:39:29 -0400

Everyone's situation is different. What works well for one will be
problematic for another. =20

I have found third graders to be squeak-prone, uncoordinated, and =
generally
confused. G is a real challenge for some of them. HOWEVER, the =
motivation
of Recorder Karate gets them to rise above. In a 10-12 week unit (we =
have a
7-day rotation) I am able to get most 3rd grade classes through the =
Orange
Belt and about 1/4 to 1/3 of them get a Green Belt (if I'm very =
generous).
This sets them up for the following year when their fingers have grown =
and
their coordination is better. I let them pick up where they left off =
for
belts, but I spend lots of time reviewing.

Now for integrating RECORDER CLASSROOM. First of all, I've found this to =
be
a terrific addition to my toolkit. "B Cool" can be played by the =
slowest
3rd grade class, and they are very proud of themselves when they do it. =
duplicated the songs I wanted to use and laminated a set so they don't =
get
mangled during the 42 classes I teach in a rotation :-(. I make copies
available for interested students who want to practice them.

I hope it's not sacriligious to mention that I use some material from =
Jim
Tinter in the same way. Kids love "Hot Cross/Merrily Mambo" and "Desert
Rider" is an all-time favorite. I use these tunes with older (4th/5th)
students and at the end of the unit with 3rd grade.

This is pretty sketchy, but I think it gives the general idea. RECORDER
KARATE is a powerful tool and is the basis for everything I do with
recorders. I supplement with Recorder Classroom and other materials
(including Artie Almeida's "Recorder Express", "Do It! Play Recorder", =
and
"Recorder Excellence". I think my parents and administration feel I am =
very
successful both in motivating kids and teaching them about music through
recorders.

James W Estes
8952 SE Retreat Drive=20
Hobe Sound, FL 33455