Subject: RE: [RECL]managing the recorders as they get carried about

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:25:36 -0500

Several of my students purchase two recorders, keeping one at school and one
at home. That helps quite a bit. I've made agreements with the classroom
teachers and let the kids know that if an adult finds a student playing at
the wrong place or time, the adult will take the recorder and pass it on to
me. I have a nice big cubby storage area that a previous teacher made.
There's a cubby for each class.
Actually, our teachers are pretty good about the swinging recorder. That's
never been an issue. However, a few kids "lose" their cases and are tempted
to toot in class. Again, it gets confiscated and given to me.
When the order first comes in, I spend one class session passing out
Sharpies. The kids label their cases AND initial their recorders in case the
case does get lost.
In class, if a student is not to play, he/she gets two changes, and then I
remove their mouthpiece. They're required to practice fingerings anyway. If
it ends up being their turn to play, I will return the mouthpiece long
enough for that child to play, then remove it again.
If a child forgets his/her recorder or music, I treat it like forgotten
homework or school supplies. On the third forget, the student loses a
recess. Fourth-I contact parents. Fifth-it's a trip to the office.

Karen Stafford