Subject: RE: [RECL]Continue Recorder Karate

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 06:47:22 -0500

I like the idea of the combination, although I'm trying to think of a
rhythm/mallet challenge that will go along with my Recorder Karate and Vocal
Football. I use Recorder Karate's philosophy from grades 3-6, and in the
past, have pulled from the method, Denise Gagne's method, and various K-8
songs. (I plan on totally changing the songs this summer)/There are
different songs at each grade level, and kids start over with white the next
year. I don't make them wait from grade to grade to get to achieve black.
That's too daunting, in my viewpoint, and I often have kids who transfer
from school to school in the district, and there is one teacher who does NOT
teach recorder, so I want to make sure they have an obtainable goal. After
all, they aren't expected to carry things from grade to grade in their other
subjects! Each year is new and fresh.
After attending an Orff workshop with Julie Scott (eeks! I think that's her
name. She'll be the new AOSA president), I'm going to revamp my third grade
Recorder Karate a lot to NOT start with BAG, but introduce high C early. She
gave a lot of good tips on assessing. In the past, I kicked like a mule
about changing from BAG, but now, I really see the logic and how it can
work!
Anyway, I usually have a few kids who zip through black belt within two
months. All kids are required, for their assessment in their gradebook, to
achieve at least yellow belt. After black belt, I have Advanced levels, in
which the kids earn beads, and later, "dojo" dollars (my composer bucks).
These hotdog kids help develop my instrumental ensemble, Musica Primaeva.
Hmmm, Mallet soccer? Bars Bunko? Rhythm Rugby? LOL I don't have enough
bulletin boards! The kids LOVE those challenges.

Karen Stafford