Subject: Re: [RECL]Continue Recorder Karate/Sarah

From: Linda Z
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:39:48 -0400 (EDT)

I would definitely give her a symbol of passing. Would she be aware if the =
symbol was different? I'd give her the white belt or whatever symbol you gi=
ve. The other kids will understand and be excited for her! I bet she puts m=
ore effort than anyone else in the room!

I have a darling young man who has been mainstreamed into third grade class=
es two years in a row. Memory is SO hard for him. He can play "Hot Cross Bu=
ns" sort of - with a little help. He has earned at least 3 white belts beca=
use he comes up to test and plays "Hot Cross Buns" again.=20

This year he became aware that he was not progressing like the others and t=
ook a yellow belt. (First time anyone has done that.) I didn't scold him, m=
uch. I found out because he came right up to me and said "I got a yellow be=
lt!" His smile! And he was so excited! I smiled back, thought about it, and=
the next time told him that I had to give out the belts when he passes a s=
ong. He still came up to test sometimes, sometimes for white, sometimes for=
yellow belt.=20

I let him earn yellow (Gently Sleep) the last day by singing "3 2 1" and he=
successfully play GAB after about 5 tries. Then the next 3 notes after abo=
ut 10 tries...

Maybe I should be giving him yellow and orange for playing "Hot Cross Buns"=
progressively better...

Linda