Subject: RE: [RECL]how do you teach?

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:54:13 -0500

I usually do mine as a block unit. After an initial review (a day or two) of
the basics, plus several songs on the Recorder Karate list, the kids work at
their own paces and play their belt songs. As kids play, other classmates
offer suggestions for improvement. I also have had kids work in groups of
similar levels, and also utilize "tooter tutors", kids who progress very
quickly who work one-on-one with classmates who have more difficulty. This
is also a great way to get one-on-one for those remedial students.
I think I usually go six weeks. For their recorded assessment (which
technically covers Missouri GLEs about reading pitch, reading rhythm, and
performing any number of required notes on an instrument), I think I ask
that they have play at least yellow belt. Kids who have gone beyond that are
exempt from testing. I usually have quite a few hot dogs who want to keep
going, though!
After that unit, they have the option of continuing, and then, as you
mention, utilize this knowledge and incorporate with percussion or other
instruments. I've also had fourth graders use it to perform their own Native
American picture compositions and record them on the computer. Sixth graders
use recorders in their Native American diamante poem compositions.

Karen Stafford