Subject: RE: [RECL]First lesson

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:55:38 -0500

First of all, I teach the notes of the staff previously before even starting
recorder.
When they get their recorders, I go over the rules, and then distribute
recorders. The kids label their recorders and cases. (This probably takes
most of the first day itself). If there's time, then, we start with gentle
blowing. (I know the kids will be anxious to play when they get home!!)I
tell them it's not a tuba :-), but they need just enough air to tickle a
feather, not move it. I then show them the fingering and correct hand
position for a B, and have the kids practice it with a gentle "do" sound. (I
much prefer "doo" to "too", even with flute instruction). Then we add the
second finger for A. It's here we experiment with what makes a good sound
(gentle air, covering holes, etc.) and what doesn't. With third graders, I
allow the kids to use the Velcro dots that come with the Peripole recorders,
since the thumb hole is often tough to feel. The kids then experiment with
B, A, and G (which I know some teachers don't introduce. I go ahead to help
develop those muscles. Usually, most of my third graders get it within a
couple of weeks).
After that (probably on another day), I introduce the first Recorder Karate
song, which I take from Denise Gagne's Recorder method. It's the BA song. I
work on the first three or four Recorder Karate songs in class, then allow
kids to start working for belts.
Unfortunately this year, my third graders come in class and a halfs (yay for
PLCs and collaboration time! Insert sarcasm). So, I'll be lucky if I get all
my recorders passed out the first day. I'm pretty sure I'll have to revamp
my system somewhat to accommodate for 32-35 kids at one time......

Karen Stafford