Subject: [RECL]Re: Hi Everyone!

From: Margo Rainone
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:03:24 -0400

Hi:
I'm glad to see folks on this list,too. Linda, I love your spiel. As for the
right hand discussion, I do this: after we do "left hand check" (make a cap
letter L with left hand; if it's backwards, then you're using the wrong
hand!), then we make 'crocodile jaws, (complete with appropriate sounds)
that "grab" the recorder in b position. THEN, her we go! The right hand
comes to the rescue; again with appropriate sounds; TA-DA! (trumpet-like!)
and the right hand balances the recorder in the right place. This works for
99% of them. I also am lucky enough that I was able to call the shots in
both my schools and begin recorder in the 4th grade, not 3rd. I find that
they are really ready by then.
My daughter's school had them do recorders in third, did one end of the year
concert, and then they never played them again. I start in grade 4 and have
taken recorders all the way up to 7th this year! In 6th, I now give them the
option to purchase and learn alto recorder.

Have a good Monday.

Margo on LI

^ Back To Top