Subject: Re: [RECL]Re: Hi Everyone!

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:54:44 -0500

I do start in 3rd grade, and go through sixth. By this time, I can run the
gamut of songs and pitches and only do a unit for 6 weeks. I've done this
for probably 10 years now. This year with 3rd, however, I don't start with
BAG as I did in the past. I start with so-mi (C and A). I've always had kids
have difficulty with G when they were younger, then Julie Scott did a
session for St. Louis AOSA and sold me on starting on C and A. I use solfege
and have the kids "hear" the song before playing it. For instance, we did a
2-3 class session on "Pease Porridge Hot" just using the smartboard,
solfege, and correlating the so-mi interval span to the pitches C and A on
the staff. (And I did explain this wasn't the way it always was). For their
Recorder Karate, the first several songs involve so-mi, and then la (and
yes, Julie does introduce high D very close after this). I think taking the
time to have the kids sing the songs and do the ear training before playing
really helps. Even before I passed out the music, I taught the basics of
left hand on top, the whys, proper air blowing (I use the analogy of "Teddy
Bear": Soft, warm, and round. One of my sixth graders came up with the
analogy of fresh baked cookies out of the oven: ALSO soft, warm, and round,
LOL). Then I showed them the fingerings of C and A and asked them to see if
they could figure out Pease Porridge Hot over the weekend. Several of them
did! Then, they got their folders, and I had about 5 kids pass white the
first day. And, I have classes of over 30 third graders (class and a half).
I plan on utilizing a lesson on Star Bright taken from the last St. Louis
AOSA session (Donna Massella-Chiacos) and use recorders in the third grade
program.
As for alto, my kids have the option of purchasing either alto or tenor in
either fifth or sixth grade, but then again, they've had the two years under
their belts. I do have kids who purchase tenors! Kids can also join Musica
Primaeva (my after school music ensemble-expanded from recorder consort) in
fourth grade. Thanks to the beauty of the people that make up Plank Road
Publishing:-), those kids who have had only a year of recorder under their
belts can be in this group because of the two or more part arrangements that
only include B, A, or G.
Karen Stafford
I think this might be a long-winded way for me to say one CAN teach recorder
in third grade and survive it clear through sixth:-)