Subject: Re: [RECL]Re: Hi Everyone!

From: Sue Roessel Dura
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:50:12 -0500

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:03:24 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm glad to see folks on this list,too. Linda, I love your spiel. As for=
the=20
>right hand discussion, I do this: after we do "left hand check" (make a =
cap=20
>letter L with left hand; if it's backwards, then you're using the wrong=20
>hand!), then we make 'crocodile jaws, (complete with appropriate sounds)=
=20
>that "grab" the recorder in b position. THEN, her we go! The right hand=20
>comes to the rescue; again with appropriate sounds; TA-DA! =
(trumpet-like!)=20
>and the right hand balances the recorder in the right place. This works =
for=20
>99% of them. I also am lucky enough that I was able to call the shots in=
=20
>both my schools and begin recorder in the 4th grade, not 3rd. I find =
that=20
>they are really ready by then.

I really like using a letter to check for the left hand! I think I'd use=
"C"
though and avoid 'grabbing' the recorder (although it sounds like fun ;-)
because the kids get a death grip on the instrument and loose a lot of =
facility
that way. Also, when they are gripping, it's harder for them to cover =
the holes
properly. The "C" will get them a better thumb position too. I like to =
tell
them to think their recorders are made of egg shells so they hold them =
very
gently.

I start with 4th graders too and more of them are able to be successful.

>Have a good Monday.
You too!

>Margo on LI=20
Do you ever go to the Long Island Recorder Festival?

Best, Sue

^ Back To Top