Subject: Re: [RECL]RE: Recorder_Classroom Digest #101 - 10/26/09

From: Linda Z
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:27:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Sarah,
I say "tooh", but will change to "toe", "toe-tuh" in recorder club and class if it will make a difference! I foresee some giggling.

Did I mention how much my kids love "Zippy Toad" (RECL 1:1) and "Juba Jive" (BAGE)(18:3)?

In "Zippy Toad" BAG) children play a measure, then rest a measure and can look ahead. There are repeating patterns - I think they only have to learn 3 ideas.

In "Juba Jive" there are 8 measures in the middle where they can improvise on BAGE (or a xylophonist can improvise).

I made a powerpoint of each by modifying Tracy/Martha's BAG Poison Rhythm. I'm not good with music fonts, so I did the copy/paste thing, and drew some. I don't think I can share it because it has the music and everything...

A couple kids worked up an amazing performance for Juba Jive a couple years ago, one played accompaniment on xylophone and improvised in the middle, the other played the melody on soprano, then alto, then on sopranino, then alto and soprano together...I think. Maybe there aren't that many verses. But he had three recorders around his neck...

Linda Z