Subject: Re: [RECL]disinfecting recorder mouthpieces

From: Jennifer S.
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:49:05 -0500

At 01:13 PM 10/31/2009, you wrote:
>Has anyone been struggling with the issue of cleaning classroom
>recorders? In the past, our general music staff has encouraged
>students to buy their own recorders and have had extras available
>for those who don't purchase them. They are then sprayed between
>classes with Roche-Thomas Mi-T-Mist spray. In these days of H1N1, do
>we dare continue to do this?

I always require my students to buy their own recorders. I used to
have a few "extras" for a child who forgot theirs on music day, but I
discontinued this practice because it was just kind of gross to me
and the children (even with disinfecting spray), let alone worrying about H1N1.

This year, I really emphasized to the parents that students could
really use 2 recorders, one for school and one for home. And if they
forget their recorder on music day, they're writing me a recorder
report instead of borrowing one.

Jennifer Schroeder Music/Choir K-12
Fall River, WI Momo3@Centurytel.net

^ Back To Top