Subject: Re: [RECL]disinfecting recorder mouthpieces

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:45:07 -0500

I don't think the general disinfectant (just spraying them) will cut it. I'm
not willing to take the chance, actually :-) We're not supposed to rely
solely on GermX, either. The way these bugs mutate, I just don't want to
take the chance. Plus, even just soaking them in the jug like I do...the
water won't stay hot enough. A dishwasher gets pretty doggone hot, and since
it will clean dishes up to standard, I feel pretty good about the recorders.
It hasn't been a big issue. I take them down (because my recorder classes
are all done by lunch. I have the primaries after lunch), and leave the jug.
they just toss them in the dishwasher, clean out the jug, and have them
ready for me in the morning. I have two jugs: one for clean recorders and
one for the ones used on that day. The kids know not to take them out of the
used recorder jug. Kids who forgot their recorders don't get to use them
anyway. In my district, if there's even a hint of kids getting sick because
of recorder playing, they WILL make me stop with a recorder unit. I want to
make sure I take the fullest measures possible to protect my kids, and
really, my program.
If a kid claims they lost their recorder, I tell them consequences still
apply unless they bring a note from home. Sure, parents will fib for their
kids, but many parents will also help the kid look.
Karen Stafford