Subject: Re: [RECL]disinfecting recorder mouthpieces

From: Heather McLaughlin
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:43:51 -0400

I had my principal purchase Macie Publishing ( http://www.maciepublishing.com/
) recorders with sturdy zipper cases for (2) grade levels: 100 blue
for my 4th graders, and 100 black (with cool black cases). Each child
has his/her own recorder to use for the year which is kept in a case
in a designated box. The students are encouraged to purchase recorders
for home practice. I tell them they can only purchase the same brand,
Kingsley Kolors, (in yellow, orange, green, red or fuscia) if they
want to play them in the concerts. I don't allow any other brand of
recorder to be played in class because I am interested in clear and
accurate intonation when my kids play.

With regards to Dollar Store recorders, go try one yourself before you
recommend them. Because they come apart (sometimes in 6 pieces!), they
are a choking hazard for toddlers. These cheaper recorders aren't
molded correctly and the sound/intonation is horrible. You wouldn't
want a student to play this type of recorder in your classroom.
Lastly, these cheaper recorders are not made of molded plastic. If you
"whack" on of these recorders against a solid object, it will crack
and you'll see powder.

I take all of my recorders home at the end of the year and thoroughly
disinfect them, wash them in the dishwasher, wash the cases in the
sink and then in the washing machine.

If you're thinking about having school recorders, it is worth checking
out many different brands of recorders, and always try out 2 or 3.
What you should be looking for is consistent high quality, consistent
equal tone, one piece construction (yes, no tuning problems that
way!), and unbreakable plastic. A sturdy case is a must. (BTW, I
always have my students half zip their cases closed in order to let
some air circulate during the hotter days in Spring early Summer.)

Sorry for such a lengthy letter, I'm just passionate about treating/
using recorders as serious instruments.
Thanks for reading. And thank you, Plank Road Publishing, for making
recorder fun for us musicians!
Heather