Subject: Re: [RECL]disinfecting recorder mouthpieces

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 06:56:04 -0600

I actually have tried dollar store ones, which I'm only going to use for
school use for those who need them. I don't like them either, but when
budget is an issue, sometimes you do what you have to. It comes out of my
own pocket, once the extras I purchased with my Peripole order are gone or
bought. I'm very pleased that quite a few kids end up buying totally cleaned
used Yamahas and Peripoles that were left at school, which is why my stash
is lower! I still have a few of the good recorders, so hopefully, every day,
things can cycle around. And, I agree with you. Recorder should be treated
as a serious instrument. (I myself have performed in public on recorder,
belong to the American Recorder Society, and have a recorder consort and
tell the kids this at the beginning and throughout the whole unit). Recorder
is my ultimate unit.

My school doesn't have the budget to purchase recorders. Personally, I go
with Peripole and have for years. Great sound, and the customer service is
awesome! Every year, I have one great big order session and emphasize the
need to purchase personal recorders. I even ask parents to donate money for
those kids on free and reduced lunches (and that number is HIGH this year)
and we use United Way funds for this, but unfortunately, I can't force a
parent to buy one. I also find parents who buy the dollar tree or book fair
ones, despite my warnings to the contrary that you get what you pay for. I
can strongly suggest to parents how to wisely spend that money, but I can't
force them.

One good thing about making them use dollar tree recorders: in the past,
when I bought them for my stash or if a kid owned one, the kids would get so
frustrated, they'd end up coming in the next music day with a Yamaha from
the local music store! (Yamaha being my second most favorite brand). So,
ultimately, the KIDS are teaching their parents and are learning from me and
using their own ears.

I guess I sound defensive, and I am. I would never defend cheap recorders
per se and would have stashes of Peripoles in a perfect world.
Unfortunately, my school world and financial situation isn't perfect.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do in order to make sure the kids
aren't doing fingerings on rhythm sticks. Luckily for me, I only have to
purchase maybe 2 dollar tree recorders to round out my stash.
Karen Stafford