Subject: Re: [RECL]disinfecting recorder mouthpieces

From: Linda Z
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:23:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi. There's even scarier stuff out there than HlNl (which can be life threatening). It is against the law for the school to tell you if someone in your class has HIV. Maybe Hepatitus B, too? You've all had that training, right? Treat every bodily fluid as if it could be infectious. Some germs can last up to 7 days on surfaces? Most sanitizing fluids are not effective against HIV, etc. I think bleach is, is rubbing alcohol?

So I've really tried to get every child to get their own recorder. They can have their parent sign a form and get a free one. (So far 9 students this year out of 7 third grade classes. Five were donated by families.) There will be some kids who are either not organized enough to get that done, or parents who don't want to do this...

In the past I've given those Disorganized Ones a labeled recorder that stays at school in a drawer. (If I give the Disorganized Ones a recorder to take home, most never bring it back to class.)

This time of year, if someone forgets, they can play a "pretend recorder" or rhythm stick to practice technique like Left Hand on top. Later, when we are working harder on reading notes, (like in a week), they can play a xylophone. In about February, when we're testing recorders a lot, they can look at music books. If they're not passing belts to get a good grade, they can write a report about what they find in the music books. I don't use the books very often, so it is sort of a treat for a while for them to look at those. It's just hard for them to be quiet - they want to tell their friends what they find or sing the songs.)

Linda Z from Florida