Subject: Re: [RECL]disinfecting recorder mouthpieces

From: Karen Stafford
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:54:05 -0600

I don't feel comfortable doing that. I do have consequences for those kids,
but they just end up getting further and further behind. I just think I need
to start stashing my own money away so I can order more next year, or do
like was suggested and go to the Kiwanis or something. For those kids who
aren't prepared...after a while, just sitting there with a rhythm stick
doesn't cut it. There are other ways to learn to read notes, sure, but I
want them to also get the fine motor control learning that recorder
provides. I'm willing to adapt for my special needs kids, but not for those
kids who are capable of playing and for whatever reason, just don't come
prepared, whether it's their doing, or whether the parent really took the
recorder away (yes, it has happened), or if the little brother or sister
stuck the recorder in the cat litter (also has happened!). One of the steps
of the consequences (before the office referral) is for me to contact the
parents and enlist their help. I feel this helps instill responsibility and
helps to teach the kids that if they don't like something, it doesn't mean
they get out of it (I also have some of those). And, part of our job is to
teach responsibility. AND part of our job is to help prepare these kids for
the real world. If I have a few kids who "forget" their recorders because
they're afraid to play or they just plain don't want to, I'm not going to
give in to that. And, I think I'll just stick to my daily dishwasher routine
to make sure as many recorders as possible are available on a daily basis.
Karen Stafford