Subject: Re: [RECL]Why is covering the holes so hard

From: Kay Humbert
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:04:20 -0500

We use mathematical equations (I forget where I got this idea - it wasn't
mine, though) for fingerings:
{ "Thumb + one = B, Thumb + one + two = A; Thumb + one + two + three+ G,
etc." }
My fourth grade students love to recite these!

Another idea I use is having the students keep their fingers over the holes
for "G" (or another note we're working on) while I am giving instructions.
When I am finished talking, we compare "recorder warts" and I let them show
them off to their neighbors. If they don't have recorder warts, they are
not pressing hard enough. I also have them show me their 'warts' when they
come up for belt tryouts.

I try to find holiday or seasonal colors of yarn on Hobby Lobby's clearance
rack. For about $1.00, I get a whole skein of some funky colors to use for
special belts. I used black and whtie yarn with an orange thread running
through it for students who mastered "Skin and Bones" for Halloween last
year -- "Skeleton Belt"

Our Thanksgiving song is "For Health and Strength" (low D to High D'!) and I
call the belt our 'Cornucopia belt' because it has many colors like a
cornucopia. Goofy, I know.

Last year, we had a Palm Sunday - varigated green belt - for students who
mastered "Sing Hosanna" by John Angotti. He visited our school and we
played it for him! You could call it a spring or frog belt if you're in a
public school and use a spring song.

Kay

--
Mrs. Kay Humbert