Subject: [RECL]Playing recorder like piano (was: Why is Covering the holes so hard0

From: Elizabeth Geer
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:32:46 -0600

I've seen it quite regularly since I've moved to a school where most of the
children have access to computers at school and at home. If you have
boomwhackers in the room, a short lesson may help. Show how the
longer/lower, shorter/higher principle works, and then point out that the
recorder is a tube, too. Adding fingers makes it longer so that it plays
lower. (Some of my smarter kiddos notice that I sometimes play notes where
I skip holes -- I just tell them there are other science principles that go
into playing the recorder that I use for some notes and that I just told
them the basic one.)

Hope it helps,
Elizabeth Geer
TN