Subject: Re: [RECL]Transposition question

From: Sue Roessel Dura
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:29:37 -0500

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:30:59 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Why don't they transpose the parts for the F recorders like they do for =
the other woodwinds?=A0 That way the fingerings would be the same though =
out the family.=20

>Just wondering.
>
>Ledonna

Recorder ranges are smaller and the music we play is often 'stolen' So =
if
everyone can read in C then you can decide which parts to play on each
instrument. There's some music that is very low in the soprano range and=
it
might sound better alto up. Choral music is always in C and since we can=
all
read it, we can play it. Same with hymns. The bass recorder, also an F
instrument, reads in C just like the bassoon. My question is, why are =
modern
players unable to do this simple thing?

Best,
Sue