Subject: Re: [RECL]Transposition question

From: Sue Roessel Dura
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:21:56 -0500

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 03:35:22 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Cool. I can see where the ability of reading the music that the singers =
are would be helpful. That makes sense.=20

>It's not that I can't learn another set of fingerings (right now I play =
6 different woodwind instruments). It's that I would rather my kids have =
more time to make music than to learn a separate set of fingerings.=A0 I =
only get them one day a week and if they miss that time for what ever =
reason, I don't get to see them at all.=A0 It's not hard to transpose, so=
I thought that it would be a way to get the alto/bass parts in faster.=20

I think it's possible to get transposed music for students or transpose =
it
yourself, but I think it's worth the time and effort to teach them the =
proper
way of playing alto and bass. They have to learn bass clef too! I only =
give
these instruments to motivated kids who have mastered the basics on =
soprano and
it's amazing how quickly they learn to do it. If they become serious =
about the
recorder, having read from transposed music will be more difficult to =
overcome
than the small effort it takes to transpose. =20

>Thanks for the info,=20
Anytime ;-) - Sue

>Ledonna

the other woodwinds?=A0 That way the fingerings would be the same though=
out the family.=20

>>Just wondering.
>>
>>Ledonna
>
>Recorder ranges are smaller and the music we play is often 'stolen'=A0 =
So if
>everyone can read in C then you can decide which parts to play on each
>instrument.=A0 There's some music that is very low in the soprano range =
and it
>might sound better alto up.=A0 Choral music is always in C and since we =
can all
>read it, we can play it.=A0 Same with hymns.=A0 The bass recorder, also =
an F
>instrument, reads in C just like the bassoon.=A0 My question is, why are=
modern
>players unable to do this simple thing?
>
>Best,
>Sue