Subject: Re: [RECL]Transposition question

From: M Stanley
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:01:58 -0400

Well, I'm assuming that my kids will probably not play the boomwhackers and
Orff instruments and use the parachutes and all kinds of other things when
they are adults, either. That hardly prevents me from presenting these
opportunities to them. They will have options as they grow older to
continue or not.

So "why teach recorder" is not adequately answered by presuming that it's
taught in order to be a life-long passion. It's more - in my opinion at
this stage of the kids' growth - a gateway to much more. It is relevant in
its own right, but a gateway as well. Multi-tasking, as it were.

Not teaching recorder transposition is hardly the same as assuming that the
recorder has absolutely no value of its own or that the child will not later
wish to play in a consort with other adults.

First we learn to roll over, then sit up, then crawl, then walk. When it's
the right time, the developmental appropriateness is assured. I just think
that given where MY kids are right now - looking at the whole child -
teaching transposition is not a good-enough use of their learning time with
me.

They WILL have technical and musical skills that will be useful when it's
more appropriate to add the transposition. At that point, they will only
have one more hoop to jump through and it will be a challenge of lesser
difficulty. This will assure more success and add to the positive feeling
of the player toward the instrument, and who knows - perhaps even increase
the desire to continue to play as an adult.

--
Martha Stanley, NBCT
www.marthabeesmusic.com
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas first!

^ Back To Top