Subject: Re: [RECL]Transposition question

From: Sue Roessel Dura
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:21:38 -0500

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:05:27 -0400, you wrote:

>I would like to point out that Sue doesn't do this with ALL her kids. =
She
>said she does this with the MOTIVATED ones. I think I missed that the =
first
>time.....

Oh yes, I don't think it would be managable with the whole group. But it=
does
motivate some to get with the program when they see their classmates =
playing an
alto. Actually, I use a sopranino to get them started on alto fingerings=
since
they are 4th graders and some have small hands.

>I think that with the MOTIVATED ones, teaching them the transposition is=
>right fine idea and worth doing. Those kids will be able - I agree - to
>pick it up quickly. And they'll actually practice and actually care. =
BIG
>difference. And I've done it this way when it was appropriate. (like =
once...
>but hey - it worked)

I like to see it as a reward for playing well to be invited to play the =
alto. I
let my kids each work at their own pace (but I only have 8 in a class and=
I know
this is a luxury) and have levels they have to achieve before they can =
get their
next book, recorder, etc. A bit like Recorder Karate, but more involved.

>As a whole class teaching situation, the transposition piece remains low=
on
>my list.

I can understand that with 20 kids at once, it would be almost =
impossible... but
not quite ;-)

>Sorry, Sue. I didn't read carefully enough.
Thanks for looking more closely!

Best,
Sue

^ Back To Top