Subject: [RECL]RE: Recorder_Classroom Digest #144 - 10/02/11

From: Bloom Warren (24Q307)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:53:16 -0400

Welcome to NYC! My advice to anyone new to teaching in the city: if =
you're the only music teacher in your school, go to lots of professional =
development workshops; even if you don't learn something incredibly =
novel _every_ time, at least you'll know you're not alone in what you do =
and it'll keep your practice evolving. Reach out to nearby secondary =
music teachers, and use their programs as a guide to your curriculum (as =
a justification for your job's existence!), as the DOE is pushing for =
more comprehensive K-12 music continuity, and high-school music really =
is the end-product. Oh, and if you've got any extra Orff or band =
instruments, I'd be happy to take them off of your hands. :)

-- warren b.

Warren Bloom, music teacher
New York City Dept. of Education
P.S. 8 - The Robert Fulton School
Brooklyn Heights, N.Y.

From: amy holderness
Subject: [RECL]Introductions
To: list@recorderclassroom.com
Date: Friday, September 30, 2011, 2:53 PM

My name is Amy Holderness and I just subscribed to this list. I recently =
got a job teaching Pre-K-5th grade in NYC. The school is very supportive =
of their arts programs with an extensive inventory of Orff and other =
instruments. Last week was my first week - two days only - mostly spent =
doing inventory on the room and cleaning, sitting in on other classes. I =
start for real on Monday. Right now, I'm trying to organize the year =
ahead. Oh, did I mention, this is my first teaching job.

I look forward to any and all advice that is offered.

^ Back To Top