Subject: Re: [RECL]BAG or more?

From: Sue Roessel Dura
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:01:45 -0500

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:45:41 -0500, you wrote:

>At 06:58 PM 9/14/2008, you wrote:
>>Since I'm a flute player, by habit, I keep my little finger
>>on the foot joint holes of the recorder and balance my right hand that =
way.
>>My students do the same so they're used to that position by fourth =
grade.

>I don't like to let them do this because it is a hard habit to=20
>break. When they start playing the lower notes, you don't want your=20
>finger covering those holes, and you also want the pinky to be up and=20
>ready for that low C, not resting on the instrument.

When my kids use the right pinky for balance, it's on the joint above the=
low C
hole so that it doesn't cover the hole. Still, it does put tension in =
that
hand. But it prevents the recorder from slipping out of their hands when
playing the upper "d" while the right hand is still in position to play.

Best, Sue

^ Back To Top