Subject: [RECL]Re: Beginning books

From: Lynn Crowell
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:25:45 -0500

Hi Sue,

I haven=B9t used the book, but I can provide some information if that=B9s
helpful. Forgive me if the format looks strange; I did some copying and
pasting.

by James O. Froseth, Contributing Editors: Marguerite Wilder & Carolee
Stewart

Includes a German and Englsih two octave fingering chart, a "music signs an=
symbols" dictionary (2 pages), a guide to tone production, embouchure, etc.
Focuses on the National Standards for Music

Student Book: =A91996 GIA Publications, Inc., Softcover 48 pages
Student CD: =A9 1995 GIA Publications, Inc. - Enhanced CD for Mac and Windows

From the MusicK8.com web site:
=B3Take advantage of a great deal when you buy a recorder and method book
combo. Choose from several quality recorders.

Do It! Play Recorder uses an individualized format that allows students to
progress at their own pace. Special projects allow students to excel and
work independently. Do It! Play Recorder includes a music dictionary of
signs, symbols, musical terms, fingerings, and rhythm patterns. Detailed
photographs provide excellent models of technique such as embouchure, hand
and instrument position, and breathing and breath control. The songs even
include lyrics that provide information about phrasing, rhythm, style,
history, and culture.

Creative musicianship opportunities abound through call and response
(literal and improvised) and rhythmic, pentatonic, blues, and model
improvisation. The songs provide examples of many musical styles of the
world today, as well as music of earlier times. Professional musicians
provide authentic accompaniments on classic and contemporary instruments on
the included CD.=B2

TEACHER'S RESOURCE GUIDE (Book One) CONTENTS:
inside front cover - CD Music Index to Teacher's Resource Edition (includin=
title of work, page number in book, and CD and track listing)
inside back cover - CD Music Index to Student Text (including title of work=
,
page number in book, and CD and track listing)

Student Text (with chord symbols added to the music)
*please note that some of the pictures vary from the student book
=A0=A0=A0=A0Recorder Fingering Chart
=A0=A0=A0=A0The Recorder Embouchure
=A0=A0=A0=A0Instrument Position and Hand Position
=A0=A0=A0=A0Breathing and Breath Control
=A0=A0=A0=A0Articulation
=A0=A0=A0=A0Music Signs and Symbols Dictionary
=A0=A0=A0=A0Music Terms Dictionary
=A0=A0=A0=A0Rhythmic Pattern Dictionary

Teacher's Resource Edition
Resource Indexes to the Teacher's Edition
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #1 - A World of Musical Styles at Your Fingertips
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #2 - "You Can Look It Up" - Resources for Musical
Independence
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #3 - Media Generated Group Instruction - Easy
"Listen-Play" Exercises
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #4 - Ensembles with Options for Individualizing Group
Instruction
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #5 - Musical Rounds for Independent Study and Ensemble
Performance
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #6 - Music Literacy Options - Optional Rhythmic Reading
and Melodic Reading
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #7 - Music Literacy - Rhythmic Reading Rounds and
Rhythmic Reading Exercises
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #8 - Foundation Studies for Creative Musicianship
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #9 - Creative Musicianship - Improvisation and
Composition
=A0=A0=A0=A0Resource Index #10 - Resources for Teaching to the National Content
Standards for Music

Teacher's Resource Guide is 49 pages and contains 2 CDs (over 95 tracks per
CD).

STUDENT TEXT (Book One) CONTENTS:
=A0=A0=A0=A0Recorder Fingering Chart
=A0=A0=A0=A0The Recorder Embouchure
=A0=A0=A0=A0Instrument Position and Hand Position
=A0=A0=A0=A0Breathing and Breath Control
=A0=A0=A0=A0Imaginary Breath Control Experiment
=A0=A0=A0=A0Articulation
=A0=A0=A0=A0Starting The Tone
=A0=A0=A0=A0Music Signs and Symbols Dictionary
=A0=A0=A0=A0Music Terms Dictionary
=A0=A0=A0=A0Rhythmic Pattern Dictionary

Student text is 48 pages and contains 1 CD (99 tracks).

This is a popular book (based on our sales). I hope this helps!

Lynn Crowell
Plank Road Publishing
Phone: 800-437-0832
Fax: 888-272-0212

http://www.MusicK8.com (Web Site for Music Teachers)
http://www.RecorderClassroom.com (Web Site for Recorder Teachers)
http://www.GoldenRuleMusic.com (Web Site for Sacred Music Directors)
http://www.MusicK8Kids.com (Web Site for Students)
http://www.SchoolMusicMatters.com (Music Advocacy Web Site)

Subject: Beginning books
From: "Sue Roessel Dura"
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:47:44 -0500

Hi Folks,

I'm using Sweet Pipes 'Hands on Recorder' and it works out fine. I've
written
accompanitments for the most popular tunes so we can play them with
intermediate
players. =20

I was looking at 'Do it - Play the Recorder' by James Froseth and see that
everyone gets a CD with it. What bonus! Has anyone used his book? =20

^ Back To Top