Subject: Re: [RECL]Copying Music ...some answers

From: Paul Jennings
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:05:52 -0500

>>Just a reminder: If you have purchased one of our CDs/songs, you are the
>>owner of the CD/song. You are allowed to make backup copies for your own
>>use, but NOT for others.
>Thanks for this, I wasn't sure of the rules.
>
>>This isn't to say you CAN'T share your arrangement -- but you would need
>>to get permission from us first AND the recipient would need to own the
>>music first, also.
>If something is in the public domain, can that be shared? I guess the easiest
>thing to do is contact the permissions person ;-)

Hi, all...

Sometimes folks get hung up at this point. Yes, songs in the public
domain can be shared - but just the public domain song. But if
someone has arranged that PD song, the arrangement is now in
copyright. As a matter of fact, of the couple thousand songs I have
published, maybe half are arrangements of PD tunes.

For example - "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" is PD, and if you have a lead
sheet that you made, you can share it to your heart's content. My
arrangement of it in the second issue ("In A Workshop Way Up North")
is copyrighted... so it is not cool to share it without permission.

I hope t hat this helps clarify things.

Paul

>>To contact our Permissions Editor, please send a request to
>>permissions@musick8.com. Or, you can use our online permissions form
>>at:http://www.musick8.com/html/permissions.php
>>
>>Our Copyright Policy is printed in any Music K-8 magazine (usually near
> >the back).

^ Back To Top